Tuesday 25 March 2014

Glentrool


Today we drove out to Glentrool Visitors Center, part of the Galloway Forest Park.  There are some walking routes from here, along with mountain biking routes, so Duncan took his bike along and did a 9k route through the forests.

Ruby and I chose a 5 mile walking route to run which just involved following the yellow waymarkers so it was nice knowing that I didn't need to navigate or anything.

It was a really lovely run although I don't think Ruby enjoyed it as it was pretty tough going under-paw for her due to it being mostly loose stones.  She was again lagging quite far behind and, even though I slowed right down to an 11.30 minute mile pace, she still wasn't catching up.  I'm worried that I've broken her with all the running.  Looking at her paw pads later on, they don't look raw or anything so I don't think the stones can have bothered her too much.

The first 1.5 miles of the route climbed up through the forest and there were stunning views when we reached the top



Later on we crossed a bridge over a waterfall but Ruby didn't seem to like being on the bridge and ran to the other side, waiting for me there whilst I took some pictures.




We arrived back at the car park and Duncan arrived back from his ride less than five minutes later.

The route Ruby and I took turned out to be shorter than the markers said as I clocked it at only 4.55 miles.  Still it eased the guilt of the giant slab of malteser tray bake I devoured in the cafe at the visitors centre afterwards.

Afterwards we had a drive up to Ayr and then drove back along the coast before being pulled by an unmarked Police car due to the fact that our MOT had run out on 7 March!  Oops!!!  Neither of us had any idea it had run out.  Despite the £100 fine, this still didn't dampen our spirits and we have had a really good day today.  So far the holiday has been amazing and I feel like we've made some progress with Ruby.  We've had her off the lead loads (she wasn't on the lead at any point during our run today) and when she has seen other dogs and we have commanded her to 'stay' so far she has actually listened, rather than running off after the dog.  Fingers crossed this is a sign of things to come!

Total distance - 4.55 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment