Thursday 27 March 2014

Coastal Path, Kirroughtree and the Big Viaduct of Fleet


Before I get to today's run, I just want to say that I can't believe how lucky we have been with the weather on our holiday.  It's March and we're in Scotland but it has been beautiful sunshine most of the time.  Duncan has even been walking round in just a t-shirt although I have stuck to long sleeves - but without a coat!

I got up early today so I could get a good run in before setting off to Kirroughtree for Duncan to go biking again.

I decided to leave Ruby at home with Duncan so that I could try out the coastal path again without having to worry about her annoying angry bulls/cows.  I set off for the farm over the road and headed into the first field.  I went over the stile and there were about seven bulls all staring at me.  As I neared them, all but one ran away (though they all still stared at me).  The one which didn't run away just stood glaring at me only about 30 feet away.  It started to snort so I took that as my cue to get the hell out of there and I ran back over the stile and back down to the farm.  I carried on along the road until I found a suitable path to try to get to the coast on.  Eventually, after running through a very muddy field, I managed to get to the top of the cliffs on the coast.



From there I ran towards Gairlston, skirting the edges of fields.  I ran past the ruins of Cruggleton Castle, so I stopped to take a couple of photos.


From the ruins I could just about see our cottage in the distance so I took a picture of that too, which you can just see on the right hand side of the slightly blurry photo (it was REALLY windy and difficult to keep a steady hand).



I continued along and eventually came out of the fields and onto a trail which took me down into a heavily wooded area.  My mind started to play tricks on me a little in there as I kept hearing cracking twig noises but it was only birds and other wildlife.  I thought that I'd like to run all the way into Garilston now but if I did, I wouldn't have enough time to get back again as Duncan wanted to get out on his bike early.  I tried to call him to get him to pick me up in Garilston but, as expected, couldn't get a signal.  I therefore gave in and turned round, retracing my steps back to the cottage.

It was a lovely run, although it was very windy this morning and it was quite hard work running against it through the farm fields.

Total distance - 5.9 miles.

After I got back we set off to Kirroughtree which has various moutain biking routes through forrests, together with walking routes.  Duncan set off on his bike and Ruby and I followed the 2.5 mile yellow waymarked route through the woodland.




It was a really nice walk and I again let Ruby off the lead for almost the entire route.  She even saw a black Lab at one point and listened to my command of 'stay' and didn't run towards it.  I was really proud of her.

She ruined that later on in the day though when we all went for a walk along the Big Viaduct of Fleet and she saw a deer and shot off after it.  No matter how much we called, she didn't come back.  Why does she always let me down just when I begin to trust her?

No comments:

Post a Comment