Saturday 31 October 2015

At Least the Run Won Over the Couch!

After staying in bed until 9.30 and then spending an hour or so sitting on the couch trying to talk myself out of going for a run, I finally got off my backside and headed out.  It became apparent after only a few minutes that this was going to be hard work.  I really have lost what little climb I had and that, coupled with the bottle of wine I consumed last night, made this a very difficult run.

I set off up Brownlow Road, past the stud then along the side of Wilderswood up to George's Lane.  By now, I was already really worn out.  This was not looking good.  I decided to go up to Two Lads from the kennels side so that I could have a little respite along George's Lane before climbing.  I'm not going to lie, I practically walked the whole way from the kennels to Two Lads, just running short sections.  This is the worst I have felt in a long time on a run.  I also had a raging thirst and hadn't brought any water with me.  On reaching Two Lads I did think about just writing off the run and heading back home but I'd come out with a route in mind and my word I was going to stick to it.

I then went the boggy cross country route to the mast then up to the trig point.  Finally, a descent!

I ran down the diagonal to the bridge but as I was running down my ankle started to hurt again (seriously, was anything going to go right today?).  It wasn't bad enough to stop but was just a sharp pain every now and then.  So even my downhill was rubbish today!  I then ran along the lane and up to Noon Hill.  Again, the climb to Noon Hill was just a walk.  My legs were like lead.  Not too far to go now though, on my way back home!

I ran along the boggy trod to the Pike and managed to get to the top of the Pike without any walking.  Shocking!

Coming down off the Pike was very slippery today after all the rain but I managed to stay upright, although I didn't come down at my usual speed.

Even the short run along George's Lane to the kennels was really hard.  All I could think about was getting home and glugging down a pint of water as soon as I walked through the door.  My mouth was so dry.  I really need to stop drinking!  Not that I drink a lot by the way, before anybody thinks I'm an alcoholic.

I got to the kennels and decided to run home down my favourite field, not that I was in any shape whatsoever to try to beat my Strava record.

Getting home felt brilliant and water has never tasted so good.

Only 16 miles done this week but that's four more than last week!

Hopefully, this book I have come into possession of might help with my climbing!  Yes, I hear you saying now, 'less reading, more running with help' but save your breath, I already know that!



Total distance - 6.5 miles 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Christa, just something to try with your Garmin before you look elsewhere.
    You might already know this (or Duncan being ex Forces) so forgive presumption if you do.
    I wont go into too much technical details but all GPS devices need to update their Satellite "Almanac" to lock on to the various Satellites around the globe, basically a device holds in memory a rough idea of the locations of these Satellites but only rough, because the objects move depending on the time of day it can take time for the device to "lock on" to the minimum of three Satellites it needs to function.
    I would suggest you put the Garmin outside for five mins with a clear view of the sky (turned on of course) until you are ready to start you session, I always turn my Polar on and pop it on my dashboard for it to update before I start my run. it might work for you. having said that I did have a Forerunner that kept missing part of my runs and that's why I upgraded to the Polar after reading the Satellite acquisition was a lot faster and accurate than most other GPS systems.

    ReplyDelete