Tuesday 29 May 2018

Week 21 - Strong but also weak!

Monday, 21 May




After not doing a right lot last week, I started off the day with a 3.3 mile run, followed by a strength and conditioning session. 






My run was hard work and my calves felt pretty tight, probably from all the standing around yesterday at the Manchester half marathon and 10k.  I just parked up on Horrobin Lane and ran along the Street, then turned right onto Knowsley Lane and followed this, turning off towards Lead Mines Clough.  I didn't go into Lead Mines Clough though and turned right onto the track along the side of Yarrow Reservoir before dropping down to the Dean Clough.  I ran along the side of Dean Clough then up the steps, across the field and out onto Sheephouse Lane.  If I went back to the van from here, I wouldn't get three miles in so I ran out toward the barn, turning right down to the prep school and then back to the van on Horrobin Lane.






Suitably warmed up, I did an hour's S&C session which felt really good. 


Total distance - 3 miles








Wednesday, 23 May




I walked Ruby straight after work tonight and then my brother came round to go riding with Duncan but had to wait an hour for Duncan to get home from work so I took that opportunity of getting him to dog-sit whilst I went for a quick run...




...at least it would have been a quick run if I hadn't kept stopping to chat to everyone.  I only did 3.3 miles but was out over forty minutes! 




To be honest, I was glad of the excuses to stop as I was really struggling with my run and felt very sluggish.  I was the same on Monday, maybe it's because I've started back at the gym after a couple of months of injury and my legs are tired.  Hopefully just temporary. 














Total distance - 3.3 miles




Thursday, 24 May


I hit the gym again this morning for another S&C session.  I was feeling pretty strong today and it showed as I got a huge PB in my 'sit to stand'.  In the past, I have been able to get up easily off my right leg when the bench is at the lowest setting, but not my left leg.  Today, not only did I get up off my left leg, I also did it consecutive times whilst holding a 5kg weight!  I was over the moon as it's a massive improvement for me.  On my right leg I was holding a 10kg weight.  It was really hard work and I made a lot of grunting noises but it feels great having made such good progress. 








Friday, 25 May


I went to altitude spin this evening with Kath and Aiden.  I haven't been in ages and I was dreading it now that it's really warm out.  The spin chamber can become like a greenhouse if the sun is shining through into it.  Thankfully, the sun stayed away this evening, although it was still a pretty hot session.  I managed to bag quite an easy bike though which is nice because, strange as this may seem, I actually get a better workout on an easier bike.  The hard ones are so hard that I can't physically keep up the RPM I'm supposed to be doing so I don't feel like I burn as many calories because I'm not going as fast. 




Saturday, 26 May


Before marshalling the Ian Hesketh Memorial Duathlon, I parked up in Rivington and went for a run.  It was, again, painfully hard work.  I still had nothing in my legs. Hope this is just temporary and once I get used to the weights sessions again my running improves. 


I went up the Pike, where it was horrendously windy, resulting in my cap blowing off my head and me having to chase it uphill when I was already struggling to run up there.  After the Pike, I zigzagged around the terraced gardens, down to the car park underneath the Pigeon Tower.  I then ran down the road towards the campsite, turning off on the footpath and along to Dean Brook, which I ran alongside back into Rivington.


Total distance - 5 miles









No comments:

Post a Comment