Sunday 6 May 2018

Week 18 - Conquering Shaly Dingle

Tuesday, 1 May

Went for a run first thing this morning but my legs just didn't want to play.

I drove up to Burnt Edge Lane, which I know is cheating as it avoids all the climb at the start but meh!  I just like to have a change of scenery rather than plodding up to George's Lane every time.

I ran down past 'haunted house' and along to Holden's Farm.  I then turned left and followed the trail, forking right to cross the stream over the bridge and then out onto the mast road.  I climbed up to Two Lads then ran down to the water tanks and straight across, crossing the mast road again and back into Smithills Estate.  I then went along Burnt Edge and back to the van.

It was really hard work this morning and my legs just couldn't get going.  Still, lovely to be out on such a nice morning before work.  It really is great living in this neck of the woods.




Total distance - 3 miles 



Wednesday, 2 May

Altitude spin tonight with Claire.  My word it was a hot one!  The sweat was pouring off my nose.  It felt really hard work tonight, my legs still struggling.


Friday, 4 May

I managed to get out for a run this morning, even though I didn't think I would have time to.  I just did a short one though, going up past Wylderswoode Stud and then turning right onto Brinks Row.  Instead of then climbing up to George's Lane I crossed the road and ran down the footpath between some cottages and Harpers Farm, coming out on Foxholes, then crossing over into the memorial forest.

When I came out of the forest I climbed the hill through the old quarry, out onto George's Lane.  I then just ran along to Pike Cottage and went home via my favourite field.

The most calories I burned today though were at the rock gig I went to in the evening - The Britrock Must be Destroyed!  In an hour of moshing to the Wildehearts I burned nearly 500 calories!

Total distance - 3.1 miles 


Sunday, 6 May 

What is with the weather lately?  On Monday morning I had to scrape ice off my van before leaving for work and now it's beautifully hot and sunny!  Utterly bizarre!

Not complaining about the sun though, it's lovely!  I went out earlyish this morning with a route already in mind for my run.  I wanted to find a decent way out of Shaly Dingle!

From home, I ran up to George's Lane but the soles of my feet were really sore (this happens a lot when I run straight up hill).  I sat on a rock at the kissing gate at the bottom of the Two Lads stream climb and gave my feet a bit of a massage, before heading up to Two Lads.

At Two Lads, I then went the off-road route to the mast.  By now my feet felt OK as they were now warmed up.

After the mast, I went down to what was the shooting hut then climbed the hill, heading over to 'the secret' reservoir!

It was absolutely stunning this morning in the sunshine and I was tempted to go in for a dip but I refrained - it's probably bloody freezing!





From there, I made my way across Whimberry Hill and Egg Hillock, dropping into Shaly Dingle.  Every tine I have been here before, I have either climbed up the horrid bracken to Counting Hill, or have turned around and gone back the way I came, however somebody told me that if you go straight on, eventually you get to a trod which leads over to the San Marino ramp.  I thought I'd give it ago, crossing the stream and climbing up the right hand side of the waterfall.  This involved a bit of scrambling so I'm not sure whether there is an easier route which I missed however, once I got to the top I did manage to pick up a trod.  It was quite easy to follow for the most part but there were bits where it seemed to disappear.  After what seemed like a long time I came out onto the San Marino ramp.  It wasn't the best route ever as I found it tricky to run in places but it was still nicer than climbing up through the bracken and the best bit about it was that I didn't see a single other person.





I ran up the San Marino ramp then stopped to chat to a couple of mountain bikers for ages at the top.

When I started running again, the soles of my feet were sore, but this time not muscular sore, but friction burn sore.  It wasn't too bad though so I carried on regardless, going to the trig point and then down the diagonal, which I haven't done for ages!  I really enjoyed it.  I've missed this kind of running as I've stuck more to trails recently which is nice but not the same.  Once at the bottom, I ran along the lane a bit but then turned off up to Noon Hill.  As usual, Noon Hill to the Pike was really boggy, is it ever dry up there?

When I came out of the kissing gate, instead of running along the track to the Pike, I went straight up the steep side, which was met by a 'wow' from a lady who was finding it hard just walking up the proper track.  That made me feel really good - I'm not such a crap runner after all!

On the Pike I was met by a bunch of runners who were taking part in the Horwich Triathlon .  I ran down off the Pike and along George's Lane, cheering on the competitors as I passed.

When I got to Pike Cottage I intended to turn onto my favourite field but, after stopping to watch some of the race, I saw some familiar faces further along so I ran down to have a chat.  It was Lindsey, Maria and Jim.

After a brief chat, I ran back home with Jim via Wilderswood.

Absolutely fantastic run.  There was lots of stopping to chat, etc.  but I don't care.  I ran 10 miles which is the first time I have got into double figures in two years (not including walking).  I didn't walk any of the climbs either so I'm really pleased with myself.

Whoooooooop!

Total distance - 10.5 miles 

No comments:

Post a Comment