Sunday 29 April 2018

Week 17 - A Whole 20 Miles!!!

Monday, 23 April 

I woke up this morning full of energy (what's that all about?) and so I asked Duncan if he would drop me off up the road on his way to work so that I could go for a run but starting from somewhere other than home as I get really bored of running from home all the time.  

He dropped me off on George's Lane and I ran up through the quarry.  The path here has been changed as I had intended to run up past Armstrongs but they have blocked off the path and put in a new one which takes you across to the slightly overgrown narrow path which I walked Ruby on the other day. 

I came out at Burnt Edge and turned right towards 'haunted house', where I then went along the driveway and over to Holden's Farm.  I contemplated whether to turn right along to the trespass stone then up to the mast but decided against it as I'm really busy at work so thought it would be best to just start heading home.  

I therefore turned left and headed alongside Holden's Plantation, coming out on the mast road then running up to Two Lads.  




From Two Lads, I ran down to the kennels then straight across and through my favourite field.  I felt like I was flying through there but I was still ten seconds behind my Strava course record, I must have been on fire that day. 

It was after my favourite field where I surprised myself as, instead of going straight home, I turned left, running back UP onto George's Lane.  I think I just had it in my head that I wanted to run five miles and knew that if I didn't go back up I would be half a mile short.  I just ran along George's Lane a short way, turning into Wilderswood and down the broad track through the middle, coming out on Brinks Row.  From there it was just straight home. 

I love being out at this time in the morning.  I didn't pass a single other person in the whole five miles and I felt like I had the entire moors to myself.  

Total distance - 5 miles 


Wednesday, 25 April 

I managed to get out for another run today - shocker!  This time Duncan dropped me off outside Rivington and Blackrod School and I ran a short way down Dryfield Lane, then turned off, heading towards Liverpool Castle.  I ran along the side of the reservoir out to the  prep school, then along to the Bowling Club, turning down the side, heading for Yarrow.  I didn't go up to Yarrow Reservoir though, instead turning right downhill to Dean Brook and following this back into Rivington.  From there, I took the path which runs alongside the road back to Rivington and Blackrod School, then headed home via dog poo alley.

Total distance - 4.1 miles 


Friday, 27 April 

ANOTHER run today!  This time it was just a gentle one with Ruby.  I don't go out with her much these days as she gets tired quite quickly but it was raining today and this seemed to give her more energy.  She did really well and stayed by my side most of the time, although I did go quite slowly for her.

We ran along to the school then long the path behind it which heads over to the top barn.  When we got to the path crossroads half way along the track, we turned right, along the top of the Pinetum.  At the next track junction we again turned right, heading up through the terraced gardens and then turned right onto Roynton Lane, making our way up to George's Lane.   From there, we ran along George's Lane then down through Wilderswood home.

It was lovely to be out with Ruby again, especially when she was so full of beans.

Total distance - 4 miles 


Saturday, 28 April 

I went to the gym this morning to see how I'd get on with a strength and conditioning session.  I haven't done any since the beginning of March due to a holiday and then my pulled muscle caused by violent coughing.  I knew that I wouldn't be able to do my actual session because a lot of the exercises in that were too intense and would hurt my ribs so I made up my own tamer session.   It went well and I'm glad to be getting back into it, even if it isn't the proper session.  I had a quick word with the physio there and she said that I shouldn't worry about my ribs yet as it could be another couple of weeks before they're fully healed but if they're not right by then I should think about getting some treatment on them.  


Sunday, 29 April 

Unbelievable!  I got out for yet another run today!  I haven't run this much in AGES. I've managed twenty miles this week now.  I know that isn't much compared with what I used to do but I haven't run twenty miles in a week for a very long time. 

I set out only intending to do around four miles but I soon became obsessed with getting some distance in.

I ran up to George's Lane via Wilderswood to start with, although I did walk a little bit of this as I bumped into Claire walking her dogs and had a natter for a bit.

Once on George's Lane I headed up the stream climb towards Two Lads but turned right at the water tanks, into Smithills Estate.  I ran along to Holden's Farm, then turned right and climbed up the hill to 'haunted house'.  I came out of the driveway then turned right along to Burnt Edge.  I then crossed the path I had come up on and dropped down to the stream crossing with the steps either side of it, running along and out onto the mast road.  From there, I went up Two Lads and down to Pike Cottage.  Looking at my watch I decided that I now wanted to get six miles in but if I went straight home I'd only manage about 5.5.  I therefore decided to turn left along George's Lane and run past Wilderwood Car Park and onto the footpath on the right which goes past the old quarry towards Arcon Village.  After the quarry, I turned right down a path and into the Memorial Forest.  When I came out of the forest I crossed over Foxholes and onto the adjacent path, coming out on Factory Hill.  I then went along Brinks Row and down past Wylderswoode Stud heading home but I then decided that it would be nice to get up to seven miles and to do this I needed to add on a further 0.6 of a mile.  Instead of turning right onto dog poo alley and going home, I turned left onto dog poo alley and dropped down, doing a loop at the bottom, back up dog poo alley but when I came back out on Brownlow I realised I would still be 0.1 of a mile short if I carried on home so I ran back up a short while, turned round and ran back down.  I was so determined that I would get twenty miles in this week that I was just running around in circles.

I must admit I'm suffering for it now though, as I completely ceasing up.  Think I might just lie on the couch all day now.

Total distance - 7 miles 





No comments:

Post a Comment