Tuesday 4 November 2014

Running by Candlelight!

Tonight I went for an easy run with Ruby.  We went along to the top barn, round the back and along to the Pigeon Tower car park.  We went up the driveway then turned off on the left for the steep climb up to the Pigeon Tower.

We then ran along George's Lane towards the Pike and I stopped to take a photo of the horizon after the sun had dipped below it.

Going dark

Within minutes it was pretty dark and I got my head torch (my old one, still haven't picked the new one up yet) out of my bag.  I switched it on and thought it must be on a low setting as it was really dim but, you guessed it, it wasn't, the battery was dying!  I was still about 1.5 miles away from home at this point and it was getting darker and darker.  I decided to carry on along George's Lane, rather than turning off through Wilderswood and headed towards Factory Hill instead as this seemed a better option with very little light coming from my torch.

Before Factory Hill, when I got to the car park at Wilderswood, a small white van pulled up to an abrupt stop and the doors opened before the engine was even switched off.  One of the men shouted something and I had no idea whether he was shouting to me or to his van companion.  He shouted again and still I didn't know what he said.  I just carried on running.  Apologies if this was anyone I know but you scared the hell out of me so I just ran off.

Even though I had gone down the road after George's Lane, I still had to cut off along Binks Row and down past Wylderswoode Stud which is quite uneven underfoot.  I did manage to get home without falling over although it was at quite a totter because Ruby was tired and barely moving, even though I wanted to get home as quickly as possible.

Not sure how I managed not to have charged the torch has I always put it straight on charge when I get in.  I blamed Duncan for using it to walk Ruby in the morning and not charging it but he swears blind he hasn't used it.  Question is, do I believe him?

Total distance - 4.8 miles

http://www.strava.com/activities/215571153

No comments:

Post a Comment